Thursday, April 20, 2006

Love is in the air

And by that, I mean BASEBALL. Sadly, my love life is rather defunct. I once told a friend of mine that, if I could manage it, I'd have sex and sushi every day. Instead, I'm an unintentional born-again virgin who can't afford sushi. But back to baseball.
I realize we're only two weeks into the season but I'm as happy as a little girl. I love baseball. More importantly, infinitely more importantly, I love the Red Sox.
I always have. I grew up in Massachusetts, in a northwest suburb of Boston. Grew up playing softball (3rd base, clean-up hitter, thank you very much) and likewise learned to hate the Yankees as soon as I learned baseball existed. Fast forward to today. I'm no longer waiting for the Red Sox to win the big one, instead bemoaning the fact that's it's been more than a year since they've won. But this, I can cope with.
What I'm having difficulty with is not having cable. And by cable, I don't mean premium, HBO all that unnecessary bullshit cable. no. I'm talking NESN. That's right, The New England Sports Network. I hate not being able to watch my boys play. What do I have instead? MLB.com. Which, I grant you, has saved me from insanity. If nothing else, I can get play by play updates during the game, as I'm getting now. But it's just not the same. (at present, sox are up 1-0, but hey, it's Tampa fucking Bay they're playing, so they damn well better win this one.
At any rate, I've been going positively apeshit over baseball lately, watching everything baseball. I've watched, The Natural, Bull Durham, Major League, Fever Pitch. Name it. Hell, I've even rewatched The Untouchables just to see DeNiro's Capone bash that guys head in with a baseball bat. But I digress. The game is in progress. Time to prioritize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home