Friday, February 09, 2007

Latch Key Kid

Although I haven't truly been one since I was in junior high, I find myself now, a latch-key-kid.
Short on funds. Ok, let's not be nice about it, I'm downright destitute.
Having paid the rent and the month's bills, I'm without funds for the rest of the month, aside from the joint bills that my roommate will pay back to me during the course of the month.

It's an interesting prospect, actually, having to spend one's time indoors.
Netflix only does so much and one tires of online video games after a time.

I would go back to crocheting but, now that winter has almost run it's course, almost no one needs a scarf at this point.

I find myself revisiting and, revisiting again, tv shows that I have access to on DVD either through me, my roommate, or Netflix.

Dave is out, who knows where. Probably with friends or his girlfriend.
Must be nice. I'm only slightly bitter since, if I did have his share of the bill money, I still wouldn't be able to go out, it would only enable me to buy groceries for the rest of the month.

I did find a wonderful thing, though.
A friend of mine on my pool team celebrated her birthday yesterday.
The gathering took place at a tapas resaurant remotely near my neighborhood.
Thanks to some friends in the know, I was able to pre-purchase $25 worth of grub for, get this, five dollars. A great find for the destitute.
I henceforth went to the gathering, ordered maybe $15 worth of food and felt downright magnanimous giving fifteen dollars to the cause.
Didn't eat much, but got to hang out with both friends and friends by proxy for a minimal total.

Bottom line: It's a rare treat to go out with friends with money and not have it thrown in your face that you have none.
All it cost me was the admission of destitution to the host.
She already knew about my situation, so I lost no face.
A good time was had by all and I had some pretty tasty tapas and sangria.

However, truth behind the tale time, I had made her a scarf as a gift, a really nice one, if I do say so myself.
So, I left my apartment, hopped the bus to the train.
Was about halfway to the train when I realized that I forgot her scarf.
Got off the bus.
Crossed the street.
Hopped the bus back.
Went home.
Got the scarf.
Left.
Waited a half hour for the next bus to the train.
Mercifully, once I got to the train stop, the train arrived almost right away.
Got off. Walked half a mile (in 5 degree weather, thank you very much)
And still arrived on time. Actually, I was the third of thirteen people to arrive, so I was very timely.

In any case, good times. Good tapas. Good sangria.

And there you have it.
Maybe one of these days I'll be back with something substantive.
Until then, who knows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Anyone who is lucky enough to have you as a friend is blessed indeed. I pop up from time to time, as you know, but I'm a charter member here, I hope. You're in my thoughts, always....Peter, in too cold CT. Snowless CT. Jess-less CT. I want one big snowstorm, on a weekend.....

2/10/2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Aw Peter, you always know just the right thing to say!
Very kind of you.

2/11/2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks...so do you!

2/12/2007 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home