Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Exhausting

I remember when I was a kid that there was this coach that said that, for a good cardio workout, go running on the beach.
A whole lotta good that does me.
Little access to a beach and, oh yeah, I don't run.

In any case, we've been inundated here with snow over the last two days.
Not a big issue, seeing as how I'm pretty much a homebody these days.

However, I had pool league tonight, which requires walking to the train, and then to the bar from the train stop.

Let's begin with my departure.
Big ass snow drift in my front yard so, as I descend the porch steps to the sidewalk, I don't realize that the last step is under snow, so I put my full weight on what I think is the sidewalk.
Took a header into the sidewalk.

Thankfully, (and I can't believe I'm saying this) no one had shoveled the sidewalk, so I actually had a fairly soft landing into a snowdrift.

Then onto the train. Big, clunking steps through the snowdrifts to the trainstop.
Wait twenty minutes on the platform, hop the train.
Get off to transfer.
Wait twenty minutes on the platform, this one without heat lamps (I know, waah, right?).
Then to my stop.

Then the requisite two block stomp through more snow drifts until finally, my destination.
Believe it or not, this is the most precarious leg of the journey.
For whatever reason, there is a massive slope to get to the actual front door of what is now my home bar for pool league.
Thankfully, the door was in the process of opening with a departed guest or else I certainly would've taken a header without the door to grab onto.

In any case, made it there, a little bruised, but nonetheless.
Love my team. Love hanging out with them.
I lost two of my five games, unfortunately, reducing me to a season 17 and 4, until today, I was in first place individually and held the women's record for start to a season. (I was 14-0 before my first loss).
Irrelevant, of course. This pool league is a team sport, so all I care about is our team's overall win-loss percentage.

I took off early, once my games were done.
At the time, we were losing, so I don't know how the night ended up.

Bottom line though, by the time I got home, trekking again through now larger snow drifts, I was more than ready to crash.

Which is what I'll do now.
Good night all.
Drive safe - it's a mess out there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

My goodness, you can write! And YOUR snow turned into OUR ice...the storm, reformed off the coast of Virginia, hugged the coast too closely, passing just to the east, over eastern Rhode Island. If it had tracked 85 miles to the east, over Cape Cod, I'd be writing you a snowy comment. Take care...NO MORE HEADERS!

2/14/2007 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home