Friday, March 30, 2007

Apparently, I'm a tone-ist

I like to think that I'm not a racist, a sexist, or any other kind of -ist.

However, it has come to light recently, thanks to my neighbors, that I am in fact, regrettably, a tone-ist.

I just can't listen to chicks talking in a certain tone of voice.
It really, physically, palpably, makes me stop and cringe.

So is the case with someone next door.
Don't know if it's the resident or a friend, but I hear her outside our door and I stop dead in my tracks and cringe.

Such is also the case with my roommate's girlfriend.
I hate to say/type that since I actually like her as a person and she makes him happy. In that regard, I love her since, well, duh, I love my roommate and want him to be happy.

However, there is something about that certain tonality. Don't know if it's just her speech or her laugh. Actually, check that, I do very definitely cringe every time she laughs.

There's just something about it.
I can't name or label it.
Just drives me nuts.

I turn up the volume on my TV when she's around.
Bow out gracefully when invited to hang out (all three times that that's happened).
Just can't deal with it.

Thankfully, I still have the safety net of the cat, which insures that I still have Dave as a roommate (she's allergic and HATES the cat), so there's that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Jess, on this cold Sat. morning here in CT.
I know how you feel...and I KNOW how nice it is to have the "shield of love" surrouding you...from your beloved cat. Hey, I hope you're well on this eve of baseball '07. Or just life in general. I've had a tough week, and so starts week number two without my kittie. I miss him, my Baby Cakes, but I'm looking forward to spending the baseball season with your words here and your comments elsewhere, maybe even at my blog.
You see...you're the best! Say hi to Chicago for me! That big city to the west. Peter------be happy! For me.....

3/31/2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

For you...for us......and give a big kiss to your feline friend.......for me.

3/31/2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Hi Peter,
Just did, she actually let me pet her today.

I'm sorry for how you're feeling right now. I know how difficult it is to lose such a great friend. I still tear up now and then when I think about my dog.

But you're strong, that much I know.
And, of course, we have baseball.
Not much longer now. Can't wait.

3/31/2007 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home