Thursday, April 12, 2007

Huh, I thought we were past that.

Went to the bar to watch the lackluster performance by the Red Sox vs. the Mariners.
No run support.

Not good.
I'll leave it at that.

What startled me is what occurred afterwards.
I ran into a good friend of mine and her husband after the game and was thrilled to hang out with them as I hadn't seen them for months.

During our time together, ended up hanging out with some British gents as well.
No problem there, they were fun.

However, at the end of the night, as I was saying my goodbyes, one of the Brits asked me where I was from.

"Outside of Boston," I answered.

"No, that's not what I meant," he said, "the curly hair, the complexion, what?"

"Oh," I said, "I'm a Polish Jew."

He then made a snorting sound and turned his back to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I was a little bewildered by this.
I mean really, after hanging out, talking, having a fine enough time, why would someone's heritage render that useless?
Anyway, made a sour night, turned better, however briefly, turn ultimately very, very sour for the night.

Please tell me he was an anomaly.
I would like to maintain faith in international humanity, but maybe that's just me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't remember much of that when I was in England. Although when I was in Scotland, some of the locals (small town locals at that) didn't like London because of all the "darkies".

I'm surprised by a Brit in Chicago saying that.

What an ass. You would think we were beyond that. Well, you and I are, but not Mr. Bumkopf.

4/12/2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, it surprised the crap outta me too.
I'm going to assume he was the anomaly of the bunch, but yeah, total ass.

4/12/2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I can't comment on that, but hi Jess!!!! And we all saw an All-Star performance by a 21 year old who will soon be a star! His name? Felix Hernandez. Take care! Thanks for stopping by...oh, did you hear the story of the Mets' fan's fall? I'm not the Enquirer, but I did post it! Maybe check it out, if you have the time. And it's still cold here.
Stay well...your fan Peter!

4/12/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

You're the best!!!!!!!!

4/12/2007 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home