Monday, April 24, 2006

We lucky few....

I spent a lot of this weekend doing very little. Aside from doing laundry and going grocery shopping, I was entirely, and happily, unproductive.
I did however, watch all of Band of Brothers.

Now, allow me to preface this by saying that I generally don't get into war films. Generally. This, however, was exceptional. My take on enjoying a film experience is that, if it makes me respong emotionally, I'm happy as a clam. It takes a lot to make me react. While most people laugh out loud, I smile. Likewise with tearjerkers, I tend to roll my eyes and think to myself, "wow, that's too bad." It takes a lot. I'm not a cold fish, just one with a tough exterior. Blame it on my backstory if you want, which I will relay at a later date.

Back to the film. Now, I realize it's all about WWII, but I didn't really allow myself to think of it in that context, since, when I think of that I think entirely about the Holocaust, which much of my family was directly affected, or exterminated, by. However, in the second-to-last installment of this series, the aptly named "Why We Fight" the troops are first introduced to a concentration camp. Something they hadn't heard of yet.

Well, between their reaction and the prisoners' reaction to their liberation, I was a sobbing lump of mush. It was great. Made me bawl, but it was fantastic.
Needless to say, I highly recommend this series. And kudos to Dave for buying it, which enabled my borrowing and watching it.
More later, I've got an interview to get to.

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

You watched the whole ten hours? HBO's Band of Brothers? WOW. And when the liberation of the concentration camps was portrayed, I was a little wet-eyed myself. And Jess, thanks for the link...blogspot is working again. Take care.

4/24/2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

And there aren't many "lumps of mush" around here, so I'm glad I met ya!

4/24/2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yes, ten hours was quite a feat, but between part of Saturday and an early, insomnia laden Sunday starting at 5am, far easier to accomplish than I'd anticipated.
Lumps of mush of the world unite!
It's rare, but I occasionally show my human side, when prodded forth by strong drama.

4/24/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Or by nice friends, like me. And if you watched the show with a surround sound system, you heard bullets wizzing and bouncing all throughout the room. DUCK! That one was too close. But I did cry too. It's OK for guys to cry. Emotions are human.

4/25/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

of course it's ok for guys to cry. I regard those who drive themselves with pure machismo to be lacking, in more ways than one.

4/25/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home