Sunday, June 18, 2006

Good start to the day

So, it's Father's Day.
I called my Dad bright and early today, well, early-ish for me, an hour later for him since he's in Boston.

Actually, I'm going out of order here.
My parents still have a dial-up modem in their house and just the one line (it's a suburb, no DSL availability yet, go figure) so when I called this morning, the line was busy - for a while.
So, I email my dad to let him know of my attempt and to say happy father's day, I'll try back later, and I'll see him Tuesday.
Two minutes later comes the email from him letting me know he's getting offline.
So I call again. "Hello!" is the expectant answer to phone, I of course reply in Seinfeldian manner "Hellloooo! La, la la!". Then some chuckles. Good stuff.
So that's it really. We don't discuss much, baseball, hockey, double checking my flight's arrival time on Tuesday and that's it.
It might not sound like much but, it's always good to talk to him.

This is a man who survived WWII Poland, lived through the holocaust (a toddler in hiding at the time) survived cancer a few years ago, survived having me as a fairly, until more recent years, ungrateful daughter among any number of other things.
Bottom line, I'm thankful he's my dad, and grateful he's still there for me to tell him that.

I'll be seeing him Tuesday, as I descend on New England for a 12-day visit.

And oh yeah, Nats just beat the Yankees with a 9th inning walk-off two run homer.
Good stuff.

Hopefully this evening's Sox game'll be the icing on the cake.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

How nice was that post! This is me on Monday morning, having missed last night's game because of an early appointment this morning. But it might be a good thing I missed it. Tension with Seanez, utter joy (that I'm sory I missed) with having Paps when it's Paps time. And hey, thanks for the nice words yesterday. They meant a lot.
P.S. When will you be in this neck of the country. It is hot as Hades with humidy jungle-ish here.

6/19/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I typed that so quickly, the English is a little jumbled. But I'm sure you're used to that.

6/19/2006 9:30 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thanks for the kind words, Peter.
I'll be out there tomorrow but, thankfully, my parents have installed central air in their house since last I lived there, so it should be bearable.
Five days there, then we're off to the Cape for a week. Hopefully the breezes off the water will temper the heat.

6/19/2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home