Saturday, October 28, 2006

R.I.P. Red

This'll be short and bittersweet.
Red Auerbach died today.
For those of you not in the know, he was the Celtics coach. The coach that led them to nine championships in the 50's and 60's. Granted, well before my time, but still a hero when it comes to basketball legends.

See, I played basketball in junior high and high school, during the Celtics secondary prime, in the 80's, with Bird, McHale, Ainge and Parish. You know, back when they were good?

I don't really talk about basketball here because, let's face it, the Celtics aren't all that much to talk about these days. But, you have to also understand that this was a man that helped make them worth talking about in the first place. Setting the bar for future incarnations of the team.
I'll leave it at that.

Good night, Red. Rest in peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

He's smoking a cigar right now...from my dad! Thank you for your so kind comment jess. And this placed used my post in their lead off. Wow. Kinda makes me happy. I'm a sensitive guy...here is the link...
http://www.universalhub.com/

Thanks, your friend Peter

10/29/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger KAYLEE said...

Yes RIP Red!
-kaylee

10/29/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

That's outstanding, Peter.
Kickass, if you will.
At least I know there are enough of us out there that, whether we were around or not, appreciate the kind of impact this exceptional man made on the sports world as a whole. He will be sorely missed. Hopefully, others will aspire to be as positively influential as he has been, with cigars or not!

10/29/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Jess, what you wrote here AND over at my place made me so happy. I treasure you as a blogging friend. So I say, "THANK YOU!" From the bottom of my heart.

10/30/2006 8:19 AM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Jess:

Just clicked over from Peter's place. Thought you might like to read my own tribute to Red.

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2006/10/
current-events.html

By the way, the Celtics are going to surprise an awful lot of folks this year. They are definitely at least playoff-bound.

10/31/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thanks, I did hop over.
Great post.
Although I'm not so sure about the great ass pumpkin that followed.

10/31/2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home