Monday, August 14, 2006

Ripped nylons and a twisted ankle

I knew I shoulda gone with my gut.
I knew I shouldn't have even gotten off the bus.

I'm home now. Home from my would-be job on the southwest side of Chicago.
I now have a twisted ankle and a pissy-fuckin' mood.

Allow me to explain.
I was on the bus, going west having already gotten as far south as I was going to have to go to get to this job.
Driving along, the neighborhood look increasingly worse as the ride goes along.
But what's the big deal, right? It's daytime. Even bad neighborhoods are ok in the daytime, right?

So, I get off the bus and proceed to walk the final two blocks necessary to arrive at my new job. Two blocks. One eighth of a mile. Not far. Not at all.

The first thing made me smile on the inside. I got cat-called. Annoying, sure, but it's been a while since that happened to me.

Then a mother-fucking punk ass, what I can only guess was high school aged, rat bastard tried to mug me!!!
Seriously. I couldn't believe it, but man, if there's ever someone you want to try to mug, yes, go for the chick in the unsensible work shoes.
Fuckin' a.

So, I grappled with him a little bit, and then a man on the other side of the street shouted at him and appeared to start to walk over. Walk. It's something, I guess.
So the punk ass bitch ran.
I was livid. Unharmed, but pissed off. Still am, but my ankle hurts like a sonofabitch.

So I went to my job. Sat down with them and politely explained that the commute was simply too far for me to make on a regular basis. They couldn't have been nicer. They completely understood and were very surprised and sympathetic when they heard that I had taken the bus over. "You didn't drive?! Ohhh, then yeah, we totally understand."

Then one of the owners insisted that one of his employees drive me to a better area before I take the bus home. Very kind, and sort of indicative of how crappy the neighborhood is, considering that I didn't tell him what had transpired just prior to my arrival. So, the guy drove me over about three miles east, in a safe district, where I caught the bus north and got home.

I am so, unbelievably, rockabilly, pissed off.


There you have it.
I'm going to have a cup of tea and try to fully calm down.
Then I'll call the agency.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope today will bring better things.

8/15/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thanks.
So far so good. Think I'll just stay in today.

8/15/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Thank God you are safe. Imagine, and I shouldn't say this, but I will (you know me!), the short days of Winter's 4 PM sunsets, and having to deal with that neighborhood. The people there seemed like they tried to help, I guess. Hope your ankle is not throbbing for long. Wow.....I'm just happy you're OK!

8/15/2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Where would I leave my Jess comments without a Jess?

8/15/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

aw shucks, thanks, Peter.
All's well. But you're right, Winter would've been a definite issue.

Thanks again.

8/15/2006 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home