Friday, December 01, 2006

Typing in a Winter Wonderland

As I sit, we're about halfway through an early winter storm that promises between six and twelve inches of snow.
Thus far, very picturesque. Very clean.
I always enjoy the first real snow of the season, especially when I don't need to drive in it, as today. One thing is a certainty, with the first snow, the average driver completely forgets how to control a vehicle in said snow, be it one inch or seven, so, I am quite content to stay indoors and save my road rage for another day.

Anyway, Oklahoma. I was there last week for Thanksgiving, visiting my brother and his wife, as well as my parents.
It was actually quite a pleasant visit.
The weather was gorgeous, between 68 and 72 degrees each day, sunny and beautiful.
An interesting thing though. Since they tend to have thirty-plus days in a row in the summer of triple digit weather (and no, I will not be visiting in the summer) the grass everywhere is made to withstand that kind of heat. Therefore, once the temperature dips (sic) into the 80's and below, the grass hits hibernation mode.
Thus, while I visited, all the grass was brown/beige. Just kinda interesting.

Also, guns are legal and apparently everywhere. I didn't see anyone carrying one, but I did notice in various building entrances the "No Weapons Allowed" sign, specifically, the entrance to the law library building which houses my brother's office. Odd, and a little unnerving, but, as I was constantly reminded, it is the south.

All in all, a really nice stay. It's always good to see family, and much easier when there are several of us there to deflect conversations and discomforts. I always get along with my parents better when my brother's around. They tend to pay less attention to me then and as a result, I'm content. When I'm the only one there, we tend to focus on what's wrong with my life and, really, who needs that?

More later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OKLAHOMA IS NOT THE SOUTH!!!!!!!!

12/02/2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Now now, getting a little snarky there, Daphne.
Maybe it's not the south as you consider it, but it certainly is in the southern half of the country, so, South, to me.

12/02/2006 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home